Duplicate Tab allows you to clone a tab with its history and place the duplicate tab in a new window or in the current window.
You can also detach a tab so that the tab becomes a window, and you can merge all tabs from different windows into one window.
All actions can be invoked through the tab's context menu or through shortcut-key's:
- Accel+Shift+U to duplicate a tab to a new tab in the current window in Firefox
- Accel+Shift+T to duplicate a tab to a new tab in the current window in Seamonkey 1.1
- Accel+Shift+N to duplicate a tab in a new window
- Accel+Shift+C to detach a tab to a new window
- Accel+Shift+M to merge windows in Firefox
- Alt+Shift+M to merge windows in Mozilla Suite / Seamonkey
The Accel key is the Ctrl key on PC's and Cmd on Mac.
NOTE: These shortcut keys could differ per localization.
When you prefer to use other shortcut keys than the default ones,
you can adjust them to your liking with extensions like keyconfig
You can also Ctrl+Drag tabs to duplicate them. The arrow which indicates the position
of where the tab will be placed with normal dragging will change to have a little plus sign
to indicate that the tab will be duplicated instead of moved [screenshot].
The new duplicate tab will be positioned at the place the arrow is pointing at.
For merging you can also select tabs by ctrl-clicking on them.
When you merge windows only the selected tabs will be merged with the previous focussed window.
Further more Duplicate Tab allows you to open a link in a duplicated tab.
This option is available in the context menu of a link [screenshot].
The current tab is first duplicated, along with its history, and then the link is opened in that duplicated tab.
You can also open a link in a Duplicate Tab by Ctrl + middle click on the link,
while ctrl + shift + middle clicking a link opens the link in a duplicate tab in a new window.
If that is a too uncomfortable way to open a link in a duplicate tab,
there are also options which allow you to open a link in a duplicate tab by just middle clicking
(shift + middle click to open in a new window) or ctrl + click (shift + click in a new window)
on a link [screenshot].
On Firefox, Duplicate Tab comes with three toolbar buttons: one to duplicate a tab,
one to duplicate a tab to a new window and one to detach a tab [screenshot].
If you want to use the buttons, you'll have to manually add the toolbar buttons to one of the toolbars after installing the extension.
You can do this by going to View->Toolbars->Costumize...,
a window will show up containing a lot of toolbar buttons [screenshot],
among which the Duplicate Tab toolbar buttons.
Then you can drag the buttons from the window to the desired position in one of the toolbars.
After you're done dragging just click Done on the Costumize Toolbar Window, and then you can use the buttons.
If you just click on the duplicate tab buttons, the current tab will be duplicated.
But you can also drag the tab you want to duplicate to one of the buttons,
and you can also drag the url from the location bar to duplicate the tab.
And if you drag a link from the page you're viewing to the toolbar button,
the tab will be duplicated and the link will be opened in that duplicate tab.
You can select if you want to automatically focus the duplicate tab,
and you can also choose to place the duplicate tab next to the original tab [screenshot].
If you prefer to open middle clicked links in duplicate tabs rather then in normal blank tabs,
there is an option added which allows you to set to do so.
When you try to open such a link in a duplicate tab, an error message will appear with the option to duplicate the tab anyway without opening the link
New tabs opened from middle clicking or ctrl + clicking (or shift + clicking to open in a new window)
on the back and forward buttons and their drop down menus normally won't inherit the history of the original tab.
But duplicate tab allows you to set options so the history of the original tab will be inherited by the new tab.
In the Advanced Options section, for tab duplication you can select to enable or disable the cloning of the scroll-position and
the text-zoom factor of the page, and you can set how much of the back/forward history you want to be cloned, if you want to clone it.
When you click 'Merge Windows' in the context menu or invoke this with Accel+Shift+M,
standard all windows are merged to one window. But you have the option to select tabs by
control-clicking on them [screenshot].
If you have selected some tabs and invoked Merge Windows,
only the selected tabs will be merged with the second window (previous focussed window).
If some tabs were not selected a warning message will popup that these tabs will be closed along with the window.
There is an option added where you can prevent that message from appearing.
And you can also select to not close the window from which the selected tabs have
been merged if some tabs were not selected [screenshot].
You can also adjust the standard Merge Windows function (when no tabs are selected),
to only merge the tabs of the two last focussed windows into one window.
Normally popup windows will also be merged with the tabs of normal windows, but there is an option to not merge popup windows.
If you want the popup windows to be merged, there is also an option which allows the popups
to be opened next to the tab containing the page the popup originated from.
There are options added to select where you want the context menu items to appear.
You can set to have them available in the browser page's context menu and/or in the tab's context menu.
There is also an option to select whether you want the context menu items to appear in a Duplicate Tab submenu or not.
You can also choose which items you want to have visible ('Duplicate Tab', 'Duplicate Tab To New Window', 'Merge Windows', 'Detach Tab').
You can position the Duplicate Tab menu items in the tab's context menu,
by changing the value of a hidden pref: "duplicatetab.contextMenuItems.position"
You can add this line to user.js:
/* change the position of the tab's Duplicate Tab context menu items */
Here NUMBER is the desired position (0 being the first position). For this to have effect you have to restart firefox.
However, adding/changing the preference in about:config will have effect immediately.
Options to change with other extensions
Change Shortcut Keys:
The shortcut-keys can be changed if desired with dorando's keyconfig extension.
Apparently there are other extensions which can do that, but personally I've always used keyconfig when I needed to change a shortcut key,
not in the least because duplicate keys can be detected
Change Select Tab Event:
The event to select tabs for merging (ctrl-click) can be changed with Tab Clicking Options.
Middle clicking on links with invalid URLs
To allow opening of most links with invalid URLs in a duplicate tab on middle click,
there is an extension called Smart Middle Click.
This extension is also very convenient when you open links in new (empty) tabs with middle click.
Duplicate Tab With Mouse Gestures
Apparently the extensions All In One Gestures and
Mouse Gestures (and maybe others I am not aware of),
have Duplicate Tab and Duplicate Window gestures by which the tabs history won't get cloned.
Fortunately, you can costumize the mappings in those extensions: To map Duplicate Tabs Duplicate Tab function use the following code:
And to map the Duplicate Tab To New Window function use this code:
Of course, this code could also be used in other extensions were you can manually map code to certain actions,
like for instance with Custom Buttons.
Placing The Duplicate Tab Next To The Original:
In Firefox 1.0 and Mozilla Suite the opening of the duplicate tab next to the original tab can
be achieved by installing tablib (or MiniT or MiniT(drag),
if you want the other functionality).
In newer versions of Firefox or in Seamonkey installing another extension isn't necessary to get this option.
Duplicate Tab 1.0.2 - (5 Jun 08)
- fix bug 19180: Toolbar Icon Changes When Added to Toolbar.
- updated Brazilian localization
- updated Chinese (Simplified) localization
Duplicate Tab 1.0.1 - (28 May 08)
- Fix stripping of forward history when opening link in duplicate tab.
Duplicate Tab 1.0 - (27 May 08)
- Updated compatibility with Firefox 3.0 and Seamonkey 2.0a1
- Updated platform integrated icons for toolbar buttons.
- Makes use of Firefox 3.0 tab duplication code.
- Add "detach tab" feature (makes a window of a tab).
- Added Chinese (Simplified) (zh-CN) localization, thanks to rickcart
- Added Turkish (tr-TR) localization, thanks to smyrna
Duplicate Tab 0.9.1 - (22 Aug 07)
- Added Lithuanian localisation, thanks to minj.
- Added Slovenian localisation, thanks to miles.
- Updated to work with SeaMonkey 2.0a1 / trunk
Duplicate Tab 0.9 - (18 Jan 07)
- Use Ctrl+Shift+U to duplicate tab in Firefox 2.0
- Added Danish (da-DK) localization, thanks to AlleyKat
- Added Hungarian (hu-HU) localization, thanks to fenya25
- Added Romanian (ro-RO) localization, thanks to Iuliutz
- Added Chinese (Traditional) (zh-TW) localization, thanks to kennith
- Added Korean (ko-KR) localization, thanks to wtspout
- Added Croatian (hr-HR) localization, thanks to Krcko
- Added Norwegian (Bokmål) (nb-NO) localization, thanks to gandhi2
- Added Ukrainian (uk-UA) localization, thanks to MozUA
- Fix bugs with open link in duplicate tab
- Use ctrl+drag/drop to duplicate a tab instead of shift+drag/drop
- Also allow open link in duplicate tab with ctrl or shift (new window) + click
Duplicate Tab 0.8.1 - (12 jun 06)
- Fix alt+left and alt+right (bug 14358)
Duplicate Tab 0.8 - (07 Jun 06)
- Added support for Reveal extension (thumbnails are also duplicated now)
- Added Russian (ru-RU) localization, thanks to Quicksilver tears
- Added Czech (cs-CZ) localization, thanks to Robin Vongbounthanh
- Added Argentinean (es-AR) localization, thanks to Acushnir
- Fixed some other small bugs and cleaned up code
Duplicate Tab 0.7.3 - (28 Mar 06)
- Fixed compatibility bug with Adblock (http://adblock.mozdev.org)
- Added support for middle clicking back and forward buttons to open in duplicate tabs
Duplicate Tab 0.7.2 - (08 Mar 06)
- Fixed clone back history bug. bug 11631
Duplicate Tab 0.7.1 - (26 Jan 06)
- Fixed bug with duplicating certain sites like Amazon.com
- Added Slovak locale, thanks to SlovakSoft
Duplicate Tab 0.7 - (16 Dec 05)
- Added Portuguese (Brazilian) locale, thanks to Marcioams.
- Added Polish locale, thanks to Damian Szczepanik.
- Added Bulgarian locale, thanks to Emu.
- Added option to open middle clicked items from the drop down menu of the back and forward buttons in duplicate tabs
- Fixed issue with merging windows, where all tabs could end up in a popup window.
- Added options to customize the behaviour of merging windows regarding popup windows.
- Focussing of tabs opened from "open link in duplicate tab" context menu item, will respect the "select new tabs opened from links" preference. And can be reversed by pressing the shift key.
Duplicate Tab 0.6.2 - (20 Oct 05)
- Added Japanese locale, thanks to Victory.
- Fixed bug with options window resizing and advanced options
Duplicate Tab 0.6.1 - (14 Oct 05)
- Added Spanish locale, thanks to Proyecto Nave.
- Added option to middle click on a link to open the link in a duplicate tab.
- Added ability to open a link in a duplicate tab with ctrl+middle click.
- Added ability to open a link in a duplicate tab in a new window with ctrl + shift + middle click
- Fixed compatibility with updated tab drag and drop handling in Firefox 1.5 Beta 2.
Duplicate Tab 0.6 - (09 Sep 05)
- Added support for shift+dragging a tab to duplicate a tab (only on Firefox 1.5 Beta and above).
- Added Duplicate Tab and Duplicate Tab To New Window toolbar buttons (Firefox only).
- Added support for Mozilla Suite / Seamonkey. Bug #9137
- Added chrome.manifest file to support new chrome registration.
- Added option to load the duplicate tab in the background. Bug #9132
- Better integration with tablib derived extensions (tablib, MiniT, TabMix). Bug #9134
- Added option to configure context menu items in page and tab independently. Bug #9135
- Fix placement of duplicate tab after duplication of unfocussed tab. Bug #9140
- Fix Dutch (nl-NL) locale
- Added French (fr-FR) locale (thanks to Olivier Tribout)
- Added Italian (it-IT) locale (thanks to MatrixIsAllOver)
Duplicate Tab 0.5.1 - (24 Jan 05)
- Fix for tab recognition when other extensions extend the xul of a tab.
Duplicate Tab 0.5 - (21 Jan 05)
- Added ability to open a link in a duplicated tab.
- Added a hidden pref to position the Duplicate Tab menu items in the context menu of a tab.
- Added German locale (thanks to ReinekeFux).
- Fix for new command-line handling in recent nightlies.
- Merging of windows when miniT is installed now adds the tabs from the top window(s) next to the current open tab in the lowest window when miniT is set to do so.
- Fix selection of tabs for merging
Duplicate Tab 0.4.1 - (5 Jan 05)
- Fixed selection of previous selected tab after merging of windows when an enhanced version of miniT is installed.
Duplicate Tab 0.4 - (3 Jan 05)
- Added support for Firefox 1.0+.
- Changes to context menu don't require restart of firefox anymore.
- Better Textzoom and scrollposition duplication.
- Better in-frame-navigation duplication.
- Fixed Merging Windows on Linux.
- Added support for opening duplicate tab next to original (tablib required).
Duplicate Tab 0.3.2 - (5 Nov 04)
- Added nl-NL locale.
- The tab which had focus before merging, has also focus after merging now.
- Fixed chrome locale registration.
- Code cleanup.
Duplicate Tab 0.3.1 - (28 0ct 04)
- Added compatibility with firefox 1.0.
- Added compatibility with TabX extension.
- Fixed compatibility with Mac on selecting tabs for merging.
Duplicate Tab 0.3 - (17 Sep 04)
- Added option to merge all windows, so all tabs are shown in one window.
- Added option to merge only currently focussed window with previous focussed window.
- Added ability to select tabs with ctrl-click on a tab to be merged. Only the selected tabs will be merged with previous focussed window.
- Added option to close the first window in cases where two windows are merged (also with selected tabs).
- Added option to show warning when a window with remaining, non-selected tabs is closed, after merging the selected tabs.
- Added shortcut-key for merging (accel+shift+M).
- Added shortcut-key for tab duplication (accel+shift+T).
- Added shortcut-key for duplication of tab to new window (accel+shift+N).
- Added option to display Duplicate Tab context menu items not in a submenu.
- Added options to select which Duplicate Tab context menu items to show (Merge Windows, Duplicate Tab, Duplicate Tab to New Window).
- Added option to show Duplicate Tab context menu items in the browser page's context menu and in the tab's context menu.
- Added compatibility with Tab Clicking Options.
- Added compatibility with Firefox 0.10+.
- Changed homepage to http://twanno.mozdev.org/
Duplicate Tab 0.2 - (27 Jul 04)
- Added duplicate to new window function (taken from Pike's Clone Window v.0.2.2 extension, and adjusted somewhat).
- Added contextmenuitem to duplicate to new window
- Added preferences to enable/disable cloning of page's forward and back history / scrollposition / zoomfactor and preferences to set depth of forward/back history to be cloned.
- Added settings dialog to change preferences
- Added compatibility with Firefox 0.9.1+
- Cleaned up some code
Duplicate Tab 0.1 - (10 Jun 04)